631.462.3434 legal@wandlaw.com

Child Relocation

Once a divorce or separation agreement is finalized, and a pattern of shared parenting has become established, one of the most difficult circumstances to deal with is if custodial parents wish to change his/her place of residence outside of a radius upon which the parties may have agreed.

Change of residence is often necessitated by job requirements, remarriage, or a desire to relocate to another city or state. If one parent has to move far away, it creates problems that are more difficult to deal with than if the move is a shorter distance.

As with the initial determination of custody, a relocation issue will be a function of the best interests of the child(ren). A relocation case may often include the appointment of an attorney for the child(ren), forensics, and a hearing.

If the need to relocate occurs after a settlement is executed, the court will look at many factors, including, but not limited to, current contact with the non-relocating parent and that which the child(ren) and non-relocating parent will enjoy after the move, financial or other need by the parent who is requesting permission to relocate, etc.

“Competence, experience and persistence you can trust.” These words are not offered lightly.  It is the firm’s philosophy in representing its clientele. If you are interested in speaking with an attorney of the firm, contact our Long Island divorce and family law firm at 631.462.3434 or by email at legal@wandlaw.com to arrange a consultation to discuss your specific circumstance.

ABA Journal: In a case where Wand & Goody, LLP, represented a mother seeking to relocate, the Judge ordered Skype visitation setup so divorced dad can see kids – Read More